2023 KY-Bred Yearling - by Preservationist -
Covey Trace (Stevie Wonderboy)
Colt, Preservationist - Covey Trace (Stevie Wonderboy)
Keeneland September Yearling Sale
The great Cot Campbell, President and founder of Dogwood Stables, once said, "I've always been fond of saying that if you go in the paddock of a stakes race, they're not all million-dollar horses. I believe there's a lot of value to be found beneath those gaudy figures." That's exactly what we're hoping we've done here. The LBBS approach to acquiring yearlings has always been to focus on the physical, and look for an athlete that can get us to the racetrack to be competitive at the premiere racetracks in America - Keeneland, Churchill Downs, Saratoga, and more. While we let some of the big boys battle it out over flashy pedigrees, our focus at the Keeneland sale is to find value later in the week. We think we've done that here with a big, strong Preservationist colt out of a stakes-winning dam. Now we hand him over to a great team and start our journey.
What We Liked About Him & Game Plan
- He's a big, March foal that has a strong hind end with a nice walk. He already looks like a fast one, but will also fit our training program at Diamond A Farm. He was great value at his $37,000 price tag.
- His dam, Covey Trace, was a winner at two and a graded stakes winner at three who hit the board in 50% of her 16 lifetime starts and earned over $300,000
- Covey Trace has already shown great production as a dam, with two foals of racing age and BOTH being winners. including a 3yo by Creative Cause who is already stakes-placed and has earned over $140K.
- Other production on the dam side includes stakes winners Yankee Master, Indian Way and Divine Beauty
- He'll train at Diamond A Farm in Versailles, KY and will be heading to trainer, Randy Morse at some point towards the end of May/early June. He will race on the Kentucky circuit (CD, Keeneland, Ellis Park, etc.)
Detailed pricing plans that include expectations for costs, communication and experience have been developed and are ready for distribution. Each plan includes: Cost of purchase, Mortality & Colic insurance, Training expenses covered through ALL of 2024, Shipping expenses , and a 10% LBBS management fee. See the cost details below.
Grab a buddy or family member to split shares! We want to find a price point that works for you, so let us know and we'll try to accommodate.
UNNAMED- c. Preservationist x Covey Trace (Stevie Wonderboy)
- Our colt's dam was a winner at two and a graded stakes winner at three who hit the board in 50% of her 16 lifetime starts and earned over $300,000.
- Both of her foals to race have been winners at two, and she has a three-year-old by Creative Cause who has placed in multiple stakes and earned over $140,000.
- This colt has three crosses of the great broodmare Weekend Surprise in his fifth generation - two via A.P. Indy and one via Summer Squall. This is similar to WV-bred stakes winner Lightnin Runner, who also has two crosses of A.P. Indy and one of Summer Squall.
- Preservationist and Covey Trace share a mitochondrial haplotype, and since both were talented racehorses, we know they carry nuclear DNA that combines well with this mitochondrial DNA.
*Pedigree Analysis is provided by Jessica Tugwell
Why Join LBB Stables?
The end goal will always be to get into the winner’s circle, but it is certainly more rewarding when you feel as though you’ve been a part of the journey since the start.
Transparency & Honesty
From finances, to auction and claiming prospects, to race day decisions - you are always kept abreast of the key decisions made to best manage our horses and your investments.
Professionalism & Integrity
The horse will always come first, and we will do our best to create the proper path for them as they race for LBB Stables and beyond.
The best part of owning a racehorse is getting the access to them and our team. We provide all of our Partners with the ability to spend some time on the backside, as well as paddock access and passes on race day. We also have LBB Stables events throughout the year.